Beef and asparagus for your health and enjoyment
A wonderful combo!
Try this Beef and Asparagus pasta toss recipe for unbeatable flavor and wholesome dining.
This is one of Mike's favorite recipes, and in May and June when the asparagus is up we fix it and eat it a lot. One of our guests, who is not a fan of asparagus, said it was one of the best pasta dishes he had ever eaten, and said it was definitely the best way he'd ever had asparagus.
In my adaptation of this recipe I substitute Rice pasta for regular Durham Wheat pasta, as many people don't do well with wheat but can handle rice with no problem. Rice is also less filling and bloating than wheat.
The recipe is quick and easy, so...Enjoy!
Beef and Asparagus Pasta Toss
Adapted from the National Beef Cook Off.
Beef and Asparagus Pasta Toss|
|Description: ||This is my adaptation of a recipe that was a prize winner in the 1999 National Beef Cook Off Competition.|
- 1 & 1/2 Pound Diamond F Ground Round
- 4 C Tinkyada Organic Brown Rice Penne Pasta
- 1 & 1/2 C Fresh Asparagus cut into 1" pieces
- 3 TBS. Olive oil
- 4 Green onions sliced 1/4" thick, including green ends
- 3 Cloves garlic minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta in boiling water for about 7 - 9 minutes until not quite tender
- Add asparagus pieces to pasta and boil another 3 - 4 minutes until pasta and asparagus are tender - then drain
- Meanwhile brown the Ground Round in skillet and break up into small chunks
- when meat is browned remove with slotted spoon and pour off drippings (note - our Ground Round is so lean you won't have many drippings)
- Heat oil in same skillet over medium heat
- Sautee green onions and garlic until tender
- Add beef to mix and season with salt and pepper to taste
- Combine beef mixture with pasta and asparagus in large bowl and mix well
- For enhanced presentation serve on red lettuce leaf
||Cathy McNeil |